Taking a Chance on Love



Home

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
A Message To All Readers!!
Chapter 7

Jax didn't quite know what to say. He could tell his friend was hurting but he didn't want to push, so he just looked at her, waiting for her to speak.

"I know what you're probably thinkin', there goes Carly off on another one of her impulse schemes again, right?"

"Carly, I wasn't thinking that at all. I'm just kinda confused."

"Listen, I just wanted to talk to a friend and since I know you hate Sonny probably more than anyone else, I thought I should come to you. But I see you're busy, so I'll just-"

"No wait, Carly. It's ok. You're upset and I don't want you alone. Come in."

Carly reluctantly followed Jax into the penthouse. Oh great, she thought, looking around the room. All my favourite people!

Skye looked at the two with questioning eyes. She trusted Jax too much to be jealous, but she was still curious as to what Carly was doing here at this time of night.

"Okay, I'll be blunt about it. Most of you people hate me, and I can't say I'm your biggest fans either, but tonight we're on the same side. If you're going after Sonny I want to help you do it." Carly said, taking a seat in the chair Jax brought in for her. Jax sat back down next to Skye.

"Oh, like we're supposed to believe that, coming from the woman who would do anything, risk anything, hurt anyone just to prove your unrequited loyalty to Corinthos? Get real." AJ scoffed.

"As always, thanks for the input AJ. But here's a suggestion: shut up!"

Jerry laughed. Tracy gave him an icy glare and he was quiet again.

"I'm Tracy Quartermaine," she said, holding out her hand to Carly. "I don't believe we've met, although Mother has told me some, well...how shall I put this....some rather interesting stories about you. Say, weren't you and AJ married a few years ago?"

"Unfortunately," spat AJ, at the same time as Carly was muttering, "Don't remind me."

"I'm Carly Corinthos," she added. "I can say I've heard the same about you."

"Fabulous," said Tracy sarcastically.

"AJ does have a point Carly," Skye said. "Why the change of heart? Why should we trust you?"

"What did my brother do now?" Courtney put in.

"He did the one thing that could make me hate him. The one thing...." Carly's voice trailed off.

"What happened, Carly?" asked Jax, the only one in the room who seemed visibly concerned, except maybe for Courtney.

"He...he turned my son against me," Carly mumbled, making sure not to look in AJ's direction. He must be loving this, she thought.

"Well I guess Corinthos does the right thing once in a while," AJ quipped.

Jax looked at him with scolding eyes. "This isn't helping, AJ." He turned to Carly. "What exactly did he do?"

Carly was glad to have Jax's support, so she sighed and went on with her story. "Well, you may know I've been sort of seeing Zander Smith for a couple of months. But Sonny's still been in my life, too. Sometimes I think he's giving me vibes that he wants to get back together, but other times.....well he's all cozy with Alexis. I didn't know what to think about him anymore. So I just spent more and more time with Zander...and the more we got to know each other, the more I began to care about him. A couple weeks ago, we....well, we....." she paused for a moment. She didn't exactly feel comfortable telling her story to all these people, especially since most of them were people with whom she shared mutual dislike. But then she went on, "We slept together. And I guess Sonny still doesn't trust me or Zander. He had men watching me wherever I went, and I think he must have had one of his junior thugs watching us that night. The next day he came over to the house and Zander was there. He accused Zander of being disloyal and threatened to fire him, and then he called me a slut who brings her men to the house with no regard for child."

"What a jerk!" Jax exclaimed. Courtney just looked on in disbelief. AJ had to cover his mouth to keep from making another comment. He knew this was serious.

"But that's not the worst part. Michael was on the stairs listening. He heard Sonny call me a slut and a bad mother. And you know how Sonny means the world to him......" she stopped to wipe away the tears that were forming in her eyes. "A few days later, I heard him repeat what Sonny said. He laughed. He actually laughed, because he thought he was imitating Uncle Sonny, you know? But it hurt so bad to hear my little boy look me in the eye and say the things that I've heard so many times before. He shouldn't have been exposed to that awful scene but Sonny didn't seem to remember or care that Michael was with me that day. He was just ranting and raving like a lunatic! I mean I know he's been really angry lately but he had no right! He had no right to go off like that when Michael was at the house."

"Carly, he had no right to go off like that, period." Jax said gently, offering her a kleenex.

"Thanks Jax......and now, that's it. Sonny is out of my life, my thoughts and my heart for good. I realize now the depths of the awful way he's treated people, and I want it to stop. That's why I came tonight, to talk but also to offer my help, because I know you are always looking for a way to bring him down. But...I guess it looks like you already have all the help you need, so I'll go."

"Wait Carly," said Skye. "You don't have to go." Jax was shocked. He knew Skye and Carly hated each other.

"What?" Carly asked in surprise. "I thought you'd be gloating."

"Well Carly I mean it's no secret that you and I don't get along," Skye began, "but I...I know what you're going through. Sonny said similar things to me. Horrible, awful things that made me feel worthless. Why do you think I hate him?"

"What did he call you?"

"Oh, let's see, faithless little whore, garden variety tramp, the list goes on," Skye said angrily.

"That last one seems to be his favourite. I've heard him say that about several women all the time," Carly replied.

"Yeah well, the bastard thinks he is so perfect he can go and judge others. And he is so wrong, it's not even funny. That's why we have to stop him, take him down a peg."

"Skye, you're not seriously buying Carly's little sob story are you?" asked AJ.

"I know from experience what Carly says is not an impossibility," Skye answered.

"Do you need some medicine or something?" asked AJ, feeling her forehead. "I think you're getting delirious."

"You know what AJ?" said Carly sharply. "I don't really care if you believe me or not. You are not one of my biggest concerns, believe it or not. All I want is to help take down Mr. High and Mighty and if I can, great. If you don't want me, I'll do it on my own. No big deal."

"I for one am interested in what you can contribute," put in Tracy. "You certainly seem fiery like Skye and I. As for trustworthy, well I don't know that yet, but as long as we keep an eye on you, I think you could definitely help us."

"I belive her," said Courtney. "It's just like my brother to judge someone else, even though he's far from a saint."

"Me too," said Jax.

"Yeah...I may not like you or trust you, but I am a pretty good judge of these things so I have to believe you on this one, Carly. If you want to help, okay but you better not screw us over."

"I won't," Carly replied.

"You better not. But I think you could definitely help us, especially with Sonny's weaknesses. So if you want, you're in." Skye said.

"Of course," Jax added.

"Yeah why the hell not?" said Jerry. Now everyone just looked at AJ. He hated Carly more than anyone else in the room.

AJ sighed. He couldn't believe that he was saying this. "Well Carly I trust you as far as I can throw you, but I do trust my sister's judgment. And she's probably right, you know more of the twisted details about Corinthos than any of us. As unpleasant as it will be, working with you will probably have its benefits. So....all right. You're in."

Carly smiled. "Thanks everybody. Now, tell me the plan."