Taking a Chance on Love



Home

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
A Message To All Readers!!
Chapter 1

Skye lay sprawled out on a lawn chair by the spacious Quartermaine pool after a rigorous morning swim, lapping up every ounce of sunlight she could. She needed the warmth. She sighed as she flipped the page of her magazine, and adjusted her sunglasses. She didn't dare take them off, for if anyone saw the tear in her eye, she would be ready to curl up and die. She snapped her magazine angrily and sat up; what was she doing crying anyway? Skye Chandler Quartermaine was strong, she wasn't supposed to cry. Especially not over a man. Not even a man like Jasper Jacks....

First checking around carefully to make sure there weren't any of her nosy family members around, she took off her sunglasses and wiped away the tear. She wouldn't cry any more. She knew she shouldn't; it was silly of her to do it. Maybe she was just taking a little thing to personally....but being walked away from hurt her more than almost anything. Abandonment; that had always been an issue with her that cut her to the bone. She looked out at the water and remembered what had happened two weeks ago...
****
She was at the opening of Jax and Carly's new club, having a really good time, to her surprise. Not only had Carly stayed out of her way, but Jax had been there- and they had spent most of the night talking, laughing, dancing, just plain enjoying themselves. So much so that they had barely noticed when it was after 3 and everyone had gone home- except Carly, that is.

"Hey Jax, it's been a great turn out and everything, but um, I don't think it's good business sense to keep a place open when no one's there, hmmm?" she asked, teasing.

Jax looked around and began to laugh. He and Skye had been so absorbed in their dancing conversation that he hadn't even noticed what time it was.

"That's good thinking Carly. You've learned well. But it's all right, you can go home and I'll close up in a few minutes."

Geez, thought Carly, does he really want to be alone with her? He may be smart and handsome but he does have poor taste.
But since he was her friend and she owed him for helping her open this place with success, she opted not to make any rude comments and anger him.

"Fine Jax. See you later." With that she left, and Skye and Jax were alone.

"So where were we?" Jax asked, smiling, as he turned off the lights behind the bar and checked to make sure the cash was secure.

"I believe you were telling me about the time you and Jerry were boys and convinced that shopowner in Belgium that you were sons of royalty?"

"Ahh yes. The good old days. Well we put on such an act that we actually got him to let us pick out anything we wanted in the store-free of charge."

Skye giggled. "So, I see your ruthless business tactics started at an early age, hmm?"

Jax grinned, and locking the front door, he continued, "Not so fast. Just as we were leaving the shopowner came rushing out, screaming, madder than a hornet! Turns out Jerry had dropped his student ID card, and well....our cover was blown." He chuckled. "That Jerry, always getting me into trouble. We had to return everything, and pay a hefty fine. Dad wasn't pleased to say the least."

Skye laughed. "You certainly sound like you had an interesting childhood."

Jax smiled. Just then, as he looked in her eyes, the moonlight pouring over them, he realized how truly beautiful she was. "Skye," he began. But then, he began to feel guilty....he shouldn't be thinking these things. "So tell me about your childhood." he said to change the subject. He instantly regretted it when he saw her smile vanish.

"There's really nothing I care to tell." Jax didn't know what to say. He knew he had said something that struck a nerve. He really didn't know much about her past but he didn't want to push. So instead, he just took her hand gently.

"Sorry," he said softly.

Skye was surprised by his gentle demeanor. Having her hand in his gave her a tingly feeling and the caring yet unprobing look in his eyes made her feel like she could tell him anything.

"Jax....my childhood.....well, it was really hard, to put things mildly. I...I don't usually like to talk about this with anyone, but you...."

"You can tell me anything, Skye," Jax said, happy that she was possibly going to let him in. "But only if you want to," he added.

"My mother....er, Althea, was....well she was awful," Skye said, her voice lowering. "Nothing was ever good enough for her. Nothing I could say or do made her happy, and she made no secret of it. She was constantly telling me how much I disappointed her, or that I embarrassed her......" Skye stopped to wipe away a tear.

"Oh Skye, that's awful," Jax said, taking both her hands. "I'm so sorry-"

"I mean, I know most of the time, it was just the booze talking," Skye continued. "but it still hurt, you know? She just.....she had a way of making me feel like I wasn't worth anything at all. I guess...I guess that's why I am the way I am now....when people are nice to me, I can't help but feel suspicious...but when they treat me like she did...I can't deal with it. I do crazy things.....I HATE that she's done this to me. I hate it!" she began to sob louder, and Jax took her in his arms. His heart was breaking for her.

"Oh Skye, you can't believe anything she says. The things she told you were terrible, but they most definitely were not true, do you understand me?" He put one of his hands on her cheek. "You are anything but worthless. You're an incredible woman."

Skye's eyes began to tear up again, but not out of sadness- out of sheer joy coupled with pure surprise that anyone could actually say such words to her. Standing in front of her was the most wonderful man- the man that she loved!!!-and he was making her feel like no one had ever made her feel before. Her feelings for him just became too much and she decided to take a risk. She slowly leaned in to kiss him, but first stopped and whispered, "Thank you for making me feel special." She was just about to touch his lips with hers when suddenly Jax pulled away!

"I just remembered, I have somewhere to be," Jax said quickly. He turned and hurried to his Jag and got in quickly. Skye just stood there in surprise, half humiliated and half just plain shocked.

In the car as Jax drove away, he fought the enormous temptation to turn around and go back to Skye and sweep her off her feet. But he knew he couldn't, he shouldn't. Damn it, he was starting to fall in love with her! He had thought, maybe she could be the one to let him love again. But then...she had said those words. "Thank you for making me feel special." He had immediately remembered a time when Brenda had said that to him. Brenda. His first real love of his life. And thinking of her, it seemed so wrong! How could he love someone like that again? Sure he had loved Chloe, but that was different- it wasn't that all out, consume your mind, body and soul love like he had felt for Brenda....and despite his best efforts, was beginning to feel for Skye. But that most recent reminder of Brenda had shook him up and he was feeling so confused, so he just had to get out of there, before he hurt Skye or got hurt himself. He just needed to think.

Meanwhile back at the parking lot, Skye began to tremble, and before she knew it, she was crying again. She had been so close to getting her heart's desire and....but it was not the fact that she had not gotten to kiss Jax that was really making her cry. It was the look on Jax's face when he had ran away. She had never seen that look on his face before. At the time she hadn't been sure what exactly his face meant, it was hard to read. But at that moment, thinking back to the night and how she had fearfully opened up to him, she decided it could only be one thing: disgust. He had heard her most heartwrenching details, and was repelled, she was sure of it. There could be no other explanation right? He obviously didn't have any sort of feelings for her at all. Wiping away her tears Skye hurried to her BMW and sped home.
****
Now here it was, 14 days later, and Skye hadn't heard from or seen Jax since. He hadn't called, not even when she once left a message on his machine, a few days after the big event. One time she had knocked on his door to apologize for being such a mess that night, hoping he would help, but he didn't answer- even though she was sure she had heard someone moving about inside the door.

Well, I guess I know what that means, Skye thought to herself angrily, he doesn't want anything to do with me. Well fine. If that's the way he is going to be, I am not going to mope around here like a pathetic fool. Forget about it!

Skye began to feel a little better and decided to stretch back out and catch a few more rays. Yeah, to hell with Mr. Jacks. I can do better, right?.........

A few moments later, her peace and quiet was interrupted by the sound of the backyard gate creaking open. Skye opened her eyes and saw who it was. It was Jax!