Taking a Chance on Love



Home

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
A Message To All Readers!!
Chapter 2

Skye felt her heartbeat quicken, and goosebumps pop up on her skin. She felt like running up to him and wrapping her arms around him. But then she remembered her pain, her embarrassment that she felt over him leaving her alone at the club, seconds before they were about to kiss. Damn Jax. Popping in and out her life like this!

"Hello Skye," Jax began.

"Jax." Skye said quietly, picking her magazine back up and turning a page.

"Skye, I know you're probably angry with me right now-"

He was interrupted by a little grunt of a sarcastic laugh.

"And I know I probably deserve it," he continued, moving closer to the lawn chair that she was laying on.

"You could say that," Skye muttered as she did her best to avoid eye contact with him.

"I know what I did was wrong, Skye, and I'm sorry. I really am. I was just so......" he paused, trying to decide on the right words. He glanced at Skye, and for a millisecond their eyes connected in a longing gaze, but then Skye looked away. Jax went on, "Skye, I had a great time with you at the club. A wonderful time. I hadn't had so much fun in a really long time. And it was because of you. Skye, you make me laugh. And I feel comfortable around you. At the party....it felt so right to be with you...."

Skye wasn't sure she believed what she was hearing. The man she was so sure had no feelings for her....was he possibly making some kind of declaration here? What the hell was going on? This man confused her to no end.

"And in the parking lot?" she asked, not sure she wanted to know, but knowing she needed to.

Jax looked down. "Skye, our talk.....it brought a lot of things up for me. Things that hurt to talk about.....things that confuse me, and...scare me," he said, his voice lowering. Skye's eyes widened. Jasper Jacks, admitting he had fears? Whew, this must be serious.

Jax sat down on the edge of Skye's lawn chair and looked her in the eyes. "However....that didn't give me the excuse to just leave you all alone like I did. That was rude, and selfish, and I am truly sorry, Skye. You didn't deserve that at all." He gazed at Skye, waiting for her response.

In truth, Skye was touched by his apology and in her heart, she knew he was truly sorry and she did forgive him. But, she was still a little irked so she decided not to give in so easily. She got off the lawn chair and walked to the side of the pool, looking out at the spacious backyard. Jax got up and moved towards her.

"Come on, Skye, I'm really trying here."

"Jax," she said, turning around to face him. "You're getting me really confused."

"I know...."

"You can't just keep popping in and out of my life like this!"

"I agree," Jax said, smiling at the fact that Skye looked so beautiful when she was all worked up. "I'll try harder."

"Yeah, you better!" Skye's voice began to rise and get faster and faster as she spoke, as it so often did when she was speaking of something personal. "You better, Mr. Jacks! You can't just lead someone on and then leave them waiting in a parking lot like a dumb fool! You know I used to think you were a white knight but your reputation is fading! And if you, Mr. Perfect, start losing your oh-so-appealing charms, just think what the rest of the men on this planet will do! Pretty soon the male population will just be a bunch of lazy, crude, unnattractive bozos who sit on the couch watching fat, sweaty guys roll around with each other, cursing, demanding more beer and God-knows what else, while all the women throw up their hands in defeat! Romance will be dead! And it will all be your fault!" she said pointing a finger menacingly at him.

Jax couldn't take it anymore. Skye was in such a tizzy and it was just too much to bear. He began to laugh uncontrollably, even though he tried to cover it. This ticked Skye off, even though she was trying not to laugh herself; she knew she was going overboard, but she didn't care.

"Don't you laugh at me!" she exclaimed, hiding a grin.

Jax cleared his throat. "Oh no, I would never laugh at-" but then he burst into chuckles again.

"Ohhh, you know what Jax?"

"What't that?" he replied between laughs.

"You......you....."

"Yes?"

"You drive me crazy!" Skye shrieked, and with that, she pushed him into the pool! Pleased with herself, she went back to her lawn chair and picked up her magazine. Now they were really even.

A few seconds later, Jax popped up out of the water, and grabbing the edge of the pool, pulled himself back onto the ground. Inside, he was pretty amused but playfully put on a peeved expression. She wanted to play? Well so did he.

"You know, this was a very expensive designer shirt," he said, wringing out the bottom of his white Tommy Hilfiger t-shirt, now drenched.

"Well that's what you get for wrecking my Prada sweater with your shirt button. Turnabout is fair pl-" her comment was interrupted when she caught a glance of Jax, who was taking off his t-shirt. Her eyes almost popped out of her head!

"What do you think you're doing?" she demanded.

"Well, there's no point in wearing it now, it's drenched," he said. He bent down to roll up the legs of his khakis and when he got up, he had a strange gleam in his eye. "You know," he continued, "It's really such a pity when a nice, warm, dry person gets all wet." He began to move towards Skye.

Skye caught what he was getting at. "Ohhhh no you don't," she said, putting up her hands.

"Really? And why not?"

"Jax, I JUST got dry right before you came. And I'd like to stay that way, thank you."

"Oh I see. But then again....turnabout is fair play, isn't that what you were just telling me, hmm?" he began to move closer and closer to her lawn chair. Skye quickly scrambled off the chair and moved away. But Jax was hot on her trail!

"One step closer and I swear I'll...I'll..."

"You'll what? Push me in again?"

"Hey I know self defense buddy! Don't you forget it!"

"How could I? I've got the bruises to prove it."

He began to chase her around the pool yard again, both of them laughing but her shrieking as well.

"Don't you dare Jax!"

"Oh but it's so much fun."

Just then, changed directions and before she knew what was happening, he snuck up behind her.

"Oh ho ho, you wouldn't,"

"I always like to be full of surprises," he shot back. With that, he pushed Skye in the pool! Then he splashed in after her.

She came up quickly. "You jerk!" But she couldn't play mad for long, she quickly began to giggle.

"Well at least you are wearing a bathing suit!" he retorted.

"Maybe so but you are still going to pay for that," she yelled, and then threw a huge splash in his direction. He responded by splashing her back and pretty soon they were engaging in an all-out splash war, yelling, laughing, having a great time but both not wanting to be the one to back down. Then Jax hit her with the hugest splash of all, causing her to fall back and go under. When she came back up she had a fiery look in her eyes and an evil grin on her face.

"You are sooo going to be sorry for that," she said with a smirk, and she lunged for him and grabbed his shoulders, trying to dunk him. But Jax obviously is much bigger than her and so she had a hard time getting him under. He was thoroughly amused by her efforts however, and just let her push at him for a little while. Then, on an impulse, he reached forward, putting one hand on her shoulder and the other on her cheek. Skye began to feel a little nervous. Her eyes got wide, her pulse picked up speed, and she let her arms drop.

"What are you doing?" she said softly.

"What I should have done 2 weeks ago," he whispered back. And with that, he leaned in and kissed her!