Taking a Chance on Love



Home

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
A Message To All Readers!!
Chapter 18

Jax pulled his red Jag into the parking lot of the Corinthos-Morgan warehouse, his fingers shaking as he turned off the engine. Carly's blue Lexus slid into the spot next to him.

She caught the scared look on his face, and she felt for her friend. "Hey, Jax," she said softly, "I'm sure everything's okay."

"They better be, " Jax muttered, "or Corinthos is a dead man."

Little did he know.


Jax looked around the lot. He saw Corinthos's Acura and Skye's silver Intrepid. There was no sign of anyone else. That worried him a little. Who knew what would happen if Sonny and Skye had a one-on-one confrontation? Corinthos was dangerous. Sure, he said again and again that he didn't hurt women, but if Skye pushed his buttons far enough, which Jax assumed she probably would, who knows what he would do?

Jax and Carly entered the warehouse. The silence worried Jax, and his hands began to tremble even more. He could hardly get his fingers around the doorknob, they were shaking so bad. Jax hated to feel this vulnerable. It was not part of his style.

"Let me," Carly said gently. Jax removed his hand and Carly gave the doorknob a quick turn. She pushed open the door.

They stopped dead in their tracks.

Neither moved for several seconds, eyes locked on the scene of Sonny's and Skye's motionless bodies, blood everywhere.

"Oh my God," Carly murmured at last. She still couldn't move.

Jax suddenly regained strength in his legs and he hurried over to where Skye's unconscious body lay. He knelt down beside her and put his hand to her neck.

"Thank God," he whispered, "she still has a pulse."

"What about Sonny?" Carly asked, fearful of the answer.

Jax carefully moved toward Corinthos's body. Careful not to touch the blood, he felt for a pulse.

"I'm sorry Carly. He's dead."

Tears began to well up in Carly's eyes. Yes, they had broken up, and she was furious with him-maybe even hated him- but she couldn't forget their past. In between the fights and pain there had been some moments of love and tenderness. And that had been wonderful. Carly brought her shaky hand to her lips. She couldn't believe he was dead.

"Oh, my God, what am I thinking of?" Jax suddenly said, "we gotta call an ambulance! Skye needs help!"

He knelt back down beside her as Carly dialed 911. "Come on, Skye, wake up. Come on. Everything's okay. Just wake up." He was stroking her hair when he noticed the gun in her hand. He felt like he couldn't breathe. What the hell had happened? He closed his eyes, trying to think. Before he could say or do anything, he heard Carly's gasp.

"She shot him!"

"Carly, you don't know what happened-"

"Jax, the gun is right there in her hand! Of course she shot him!"

"Don't jump to conclusions-"

"Conclusions?! What the hell do you think happened, Jax? That Sonny shot himself to death, then came back from the grave to put the gun in her hand? Your girlfriend is a cold-blooded killer, Jax!"

"Shut up Carly," he spat. "Look, she's obviously hurt too," he said motioning to the big red mark and bruise forming on her cheek.

"Well, the ambulance is on their way...but, God, I just can't believe she KILLED him-"

"Nobody move!"

Jax and Carly whipped around. Andy Capelli and two other officers were standing in the doorway.

"What the hell is going on?" Andy demanded.

"What does it look like?" Carly snapped.

"A neighbour called, saying she heard something that sounded like gunshots coming from the warehouse, and---holy @#%$." He had just seen the motionless bodies on the floor.

"Call an ambulance," he barked.

"One's already on its way," Jax said.

Capelli carefully made his way towards Sonny and Skye. "My God, Corinthos is finally dead. I always thought he was indestructable."

"Why don't you shut your damn mouth," Carly snarled.

"Whoa, well why don't you tell me what the hell happened in here?" he shot back.

"Um, hello, what do you think, Brainiac-"

"We don't know," Jax cut her off. "We just got here. Someone had killed Corinthos, and assaulted Skye Chandler Quartermaine..." he began to tremble, and his voice faded off.

Jax and Carly stood side by side, both too upset to say anything more.

"Well, well, well, what have we here?" Capelli said. "Seems like your girlfriend was the one who finished off the mini-mob boss, Jacks."

"For God's sake, Capelli, you don't know that! I mean look at her! She's out cold! She was obviously hurt herself, and-"

He was interrupted by the paramedics, who rushed in with stretchers and various medical items. Jax watched and prayed as they put his beloved on the one stretcher, then turned his eyes away as they put Sonny's dead body on the other and covered him with a sheet. He squeezed Carly's hand for comfort, but she just pulled it away.

"Get them to General Hospital immediately," Capelli ordered. He and the officers rushed to their squad car. Jax and Carly were right behind him.

****

General Hospital
A half hour later


"Well, she has a bad bump on her head and some bruising on her abdomen, but other than that, she should be fine," Tony said, giving Jax a reassuring smile.

"Thanks Tony," Jax answered quietly.

"Thanks," Skye repeated. She rubbed her temples.

"So NOW are you going to tell me what happened?" she asked.

Jax sighed. She had come to about fifteen minutes ago, groggy and visibly confused. She didn't seem to know why she was there, and Jax didn't want to bombard her with the awful truth right away.

"Skye, why don't you just get some rest?" he said gently.

"No, Jax, I don't want to rest, I want to know what the hell is going on!"

Jax tried a new tack. "You know, AJ's out in the waiting room, and I bet he wants to see you. Alan and Monica too."

"Yeah, I doubt that," she muttered miserably. She and Monica were not exactly best friends.

"Or if you're not up for visitors, I can just stay with you and serenade you until I see that beautiful smile return to your beautiful face. What do you say?" he asked, with the silliest grin he could muster under these conditions.

"Tempting," she said, "but out with it Jax. What happened? Why am I here?"

Jax bent over in his chair and put his fists under his chin. "Skye...you're not going to like it, and I don't want to upset you-"

"I think I'm past being upset, Jax, so just tell me!"

Jax decided he might as well tell her, before someone else did.
"Carly and I went to Sonny's warehouse, and found you unconscious."

Skye's face crumpled in confusion. "What?"

"I'm afraid there's more."

Skye sighed. "Okay. Hit me with it."

Jax paused a while before he spoke. "Skye, you weren't alone in the warehouse. Um...Corinthos was there too."

"Did that bastard do this to me?"

"No, Skye, no. When we found you and Corinthos, he was dead."

Skye's eyes widened in surprise. "Dead?!"

"Yeah. Someone shot him twice in the chest."

"My God...and whoever killed him must have attacked me, then, right?"

Jax took her hand and rubbed it gently. "That's what I think."

Skye shook her head. "I just can't believe that Sonny is dead-"

She was interrupted by the sound of yelling outside her room.

"You can't go in there," she heard Tony yell, "she's only been up for twenty minutes-"

"I don't care," called another voice, "you got no choice, Doc."

Skye was startled to see Andy Capelli burst in her room with another officer by his side.

"What the hell is going on?" she demanded.

"Get out of here," Jax said, his voice trembling. "She's recovering from an attack-"

"Skye Chandler Quartermaine," Andy began. The other officer, Ricky Guittirez slapped a pair of cuffs on her.

"Hey!"

"You are under arrest for the murder of Michael Corinthos Junior."