Taking a Chance on Love



Home

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
A Message To All Readers!!
Chapter 19

PCPD

"Well, well, well, Skye Chandler Quartermaine," Taggert said with a sly grin, shaking his head. "I should have known that you'd be the one with enough guts to off Corinthos."

"I didn't do it!" screamed Skye angrily, squirming as Officer Guittirez held her cuffed hands.

"It's not that I blame you," Taggert went on. "You just did what everyone else in this town wanted to do-"

"That's enough, Taggert," Jax said gruffly, getting in his face. "This arrest is ludicrous and you know it."

Taggert shrugged. "Hey, I'm not on this case. Too much bias, so they say. Take it up with Capelli." With that, he turned and went into the squad room.

Jax turned and faced Skye, who was still trembling from the time they had arrested her at the hospital. The poor thing; she had only been awake for twenty minutes and those damn cops wanted to haul her off to the station. They had given her barely three minutes to get dressed and get her thoughts together.

"I'll get you the help you need," he whispered. She nodded silently as Capelli led her to the interrogation room.

"Don't say anything until I get you your lawyer," Jax called after her. As the door closed, Jax dialed Alexis Davis's number.

****

"So why'd you do it?" Capelli asked. "Corinthos rough you up, try to take advantage of you?"

Skye turned and looked the other way.

"Aw, come on. Nobody here is looking down on you for this, I hate Corinthos as much as the next guy. But it's my job to find out what happened. So spill."

Skye was silent.

"Come on, Miss Chandler Quartermaine, I'm going to get to the bottom of this with or without your help. And it would probably be easier on both of us if you go for the first option."

Silence.

Capelli sighed and pushed his chair back. He could tell this was going to take a while.

****

"Yeah, Alexis, I understand." He shook his head and closed his eyes, rubbing his temples with his free hand. "It's okay, I have someone else. Love ya. Bye."

He clicked the End button, then paused to try to think of his friend's number. He had pretty much known before calling Alexis that she wouldn't want to take the case. Although Alexis was back with Ned, and they were engaged and planning a wedding, she was still close friends with Sonny...well, until now. She didn't have anything more than friendly feelings towards the guy, but she still cared about him a lot. She was really upset at the news of his death, and didn't think it would be in anyone's best interests for her to take the case. So, Jax dialed the number of his friend in Boston...

****

Three Hours Later

Capelli returned to the interrogation room where Skye had been sitting wordlessly for the longest time.

"Ready to talk now?"

Skye rolled her eyes.

"Skye- can I call you Skye? Listen, this seems to be a clear-cut case of self-defense. If you help us out, maybe we can cut you a deal-"

"Don't say a word, Ms. Chandler Quartermaine."

Skye and Andy turned. Bobby Donnell and Lindsay Dole-Donnell stood in the doorway, Jax by their side.

"Who the hell are you?" Capelli demanded.

"I'm Bobby Donnell, and this is my wife Lindsay," Bobby said, quickly offering his hand before putting his briefcase on the desk and taking out some papers. "We're going to be representing Ms. Chandler Quartermaine- if she agrees, that is."

Skye looked at Jax with questioning eyes.

"They're friends of mine from Boston. They're the best." he said with a reassuring smile.

"Okay," Skye said, nodding. "You're hired."

"We suggest you give us a few minutes to go over things with our client," Lindsay said. "Now, um, Officer Capelli, is it?" she added, reading his tag. "You wouldn't have been trying to interrogate our client without her lawyers present, now would you?"

"No ma'am, of course not," Capelli muttered. "I'll be back soon." He left the four of them to talk.

After they were further introduced and Skye officially hired them by giving them a retainer, they sat down to go over the facts.

"All right, Ms Chandler Quartermaine-"

"You can call me Skye."

"Okay, Skye." Bobby said, smiling. "It's important that you tell us everything. I mean everything."

"That's just the problem," Skye said, a miserable look on her face. "I have no idea what happened!"

Lindsay's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean?"

Skye cleared her throat. "OK, I remember going to my office to pick some things up, then driving to Sonny's warehouse. I had a business proposal for him. I remember the door being unguarded, which I thought was strange. So I went down the hall, and stopped when I heard voices coming from Sonny's office. Then I opened the door, and then...."

"Then what?" Lindsay asked gently.

"Then nothing." Skye closed her eyes. "I'm sorry."

"You mean you have no recollection of what happened from the time you entered Corinthos' office until the time you woke up at the hospital?" Jax asked.

Skye shook her head sadly.

"This could get very complicated, I'm afraid," Bobby said.

"It's the truth, I swear it!" Skye cried.

"It's not that we don't believe you," Lindsay replied, "it's just that it may be a little difficult for a jury to believe. It just...it seems kind of convenient, don't you think?"

"Well, I'm not lying, so what the hell can I do?" Skye demanded.

"That's what we're going to try to figure out."

"But you're going to get me out of this, right? I mean, I can't handle being holed up in a jail cell, not again. It makes me really nervous, and I can't sleep and I can't breathe properly, and I just-"

Jax caressed her hand to try to calm her down. "It will be okay, I promise."

"Your bail hearing will be tomorrow morning," Lindsay said. "But in the meantime...you'll have to spend the night in a cell. I'm sorry."

Skye began to cry. She couldn't believe this was happening to her! Jax gave her a hug and wiped away her tears.

"It'll be okay, Skye. You're strong, you're a fighter. If anyone can get through this, you can."

"You really think so?"

"I know so."

"I love you Jax," she said, so softly it was almost inaudible.

"I love you too, Skye," he whispered back.

The Donnells stood up and headed for the door. "We have to meet with the DA to go over evidence, so we can get a feel of what route needs to be taken. We'll see you tomorrow at 7 am for your bail hearing."

"Thanks Bobby. Thanks Lindsay," Jax said.

"Yeah, thanks," Skye said with a half-hearted smile. They both nodded, and as they left, Capelli came back in with another officer.

"Time to take you to your cell for the night."

Jax gave Skye a quick kiss, then watched as the cops led her to the holding cells. "I'll be here at 7," he called, then paused to wipe away a small tear of his own. Skye would get through this. She had to.