Taking a Chance on Love



Home

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
A Message To All Readers!!
Chapter 8

"All right, well just to recap what's been going on," Skye began, "MC Inc., which we now know is headed by Sonny, has been taking over a lot of ELQ's foreign investors. ELQ is doing great locally but we have always depended on several of those foreign investors to rake in the really big bucks, so Sonny's dealings have been quite a hit to our company."

"Something has to be done to get ELQ back on top, and take down Corinthos simultaneously," Jax continued.

"Go on," said Carly.

"So the six of us here have devised what we think is the perfect solution. We'll pool our money and start up our own company. The new company will take over all of ELQ's foreign dealings."

"So, while one company is completely focused on foreign business, ELQ can concentrate totally on local matters," Carly said, getting it.

"Right." Skye went on. "Our new company won't have to worry at all about local business, so with 100% of our attention focused on foreign dealings, MC Inc. won't be able to compete. Sonny has to deal with local and foreign business, so while he's looking at business here in Port Charles, we'll be there to snap up all his foreign deals. And meanwhile, ELQ will be enjoying the same benefits. Sonny's split time, money and attention will only help ELQ. Before we know it, ELQ and our new company will have the upper hand in both local and foreign business."

"I like it!" Carly exclaimed.

"We're all going to contribute a set amount of money to get us off the ground," Jax explained. "I know you're just getting started with Club 101. Are you willing to take a chance with your money?"

"Definitely. This sounds like a great plan, and hey I'll do anything to show Sonny that he can't always come out on top."

"Great," Jax said, smiling. "I'll call up my lawyer to draw up the starting papers. Once we've all signed, our new company will be in business, and we can start sticking it to Corinthos once and for all. Is everybody in?"

"Absolutely," said Tracy.

"Anything for my wife," said Jerry.

"You couldn't keep me out of this deal," AJ put in.

"I don't know much about business," said Courtney, "but I'll do what I can. Count me in."

"Me too," added Carly. "I'm in."

"All right then. Call your lawyer, Jax," Skye said, "And let's get this show on the road."

"But just one thing," Courtney said.

Skye looked up from the pad she was writing notes on. "What's that?"

"This sounds really cool and everything, but if we're starting up a new business, won't we need a name?"

Skye laughed. "Good point. Anyone have any ideas?"

"JQMC?" Jerry suggested. "For Jacks-Quartermaine-Matthews-Corinthos?"

"I think I like CJQM. Corinthos-Jacks-Quartermaine-Matthews." Carly argued.

"This is starting to sound like call letters for a radio station," AJ joked. "But if we're going down that route, why not QJMC?"

"My God, let's just drop the whole initials thing!" Skye exclaimed. "Seriously. If we're going to start off fighting over whose initials go first, this company isn't going to go anywhere. Let's try something else."

They all thought about it for a few moments. Several suggestions came up, but were rejected. Finally, Courtney spoke up.

"How about Titans?"

"Sounds good to me," AJ said, squeezing her hand lovingly.

"I like it," Skye added, smiling. Tracy, Carly, and Jerry also nodded in agreement.

Just then Jax got off the phone. "I just got off the phone with my lawyer, Rob Hennigar. He's coming over to draw up the papers tomorrow morning."

"Great!" Skye exclaimed. "Oh, Jax, while you were on the phone, Courtney came up with a name for us: Titans. What do you think?"

Jax grinned and shook his head in approval. "Has a nice ring to it. Hey wasn't that a TV show a couple years ago?"

Courtney giggled. "Yeah, it was. That's where I thought up the idea. It was one of my favourite shows."

"Yeah it was good," Jax agreed. "There was this one actor on there who was just amazing. It's a shame they cancelled the show."

"Ehhhh, it was alright," Skye said. "But guys....we have to get back to business. If Rob's coming in the morning we have to be ready."

They did their business for an hour or so, but finally everyone left. Skye and Jax were curled up on his couch. Jax looked at his watch.

"Whoa, it's 6 am," he noted. "We worked through the whole night."

Skye yawned. "Well, I guess after such an exciting evening at the Nurses Ball, none of us would have been able to sleep anyway....I'll go make us some coffee, ok?"

"Sure."

She came back a few minutes later with two steaming mugs, and sat back down next to Jax. She handed him his coffee, which he began to drink eagerly.

"Thanks. I needed this."

"No problem."

"You're really into this, aren't you?" Jax asked.

"What, the coffee? Well I am a bit of a caffeine addict, yes, but-"

"No, no," Jax cut in, laughing. "I mean Titans. You're really putting your all into it."

"Well it's time that Sonny paid for all the things he's done. To AJ, to you, to me, even to Carly."

"Thanks for being so nice to Carly. I know that must have been hard for you."

"Well, I know she's your friend, so I'm trying to be civil. But also when I heard her story....it really hit home, you know? I know how she's feeling. Sonny has said so many disgusting, hurtful things to me......I hate him. I hate that bastard!" Skye's voice began to trail off and tears began to form in her eyes.

"Hey!" Jax said softly, taking her face in his hands. "It's okay. We won't let Sonny hurt you or anyone anymore. He'll be powerless. I won't let him hurt you."

Skye sniffled and gave Jax a sad smile, but still the tears streamed down her face. "I'm sorry I'm getting like this Jax....it's just....he made me feel like garbage, like less than garbage....no one has made me feel that low since...since Althea."

Jax wrapped his arms around her. "I'm so sorry."

"I thought that once she died, I'd never have to put up with that kind of hurt ever again. And then Sonny Corinthos went and brought it all up again.....at the Grill.....he..."

Jax pulled out of the hug so he could look into Skye's eyes. "Go on," he said gently.

"What he called me. Faithless little whore." She spat out those words as if they were giving off a bad taste in her mouth. "That wasn't the first time I had heard that phrase."

"Althea called you that?"

Skye nodded. "I was 15, and I was sort of going out with this really nice boy named Chris. His parents drove me home from the movies, and he walked me to the door. We were both a little shy with each other still at that point, but before we knew it he was kissing me. I was so happy, my first kiss, and then....and then Althea swung open the door. She must have been drunk, I still remember the horrible smell of her breath. She slapped me across the face and called me a tramp, then pulled me inside and slammed the door in Chris's face. When we were inside she just kept blasting me. How could I have been out acting like a slut when she needed me to go to the store to buy her more gin? I tried to explain to her, mama they don't sell alcohol to minors! But she wouldn't listen! She just kept yelling and swearing....'How could I be so irresponsible?' she yelled. 'How could I put someone before my own mother? How could I act like such a sleaze when my mother needed me?' I couldn't take it any more so I tried to run upstairs but then her last words stopped me in my tracks. 'Faithless little whore,' she hissed. Right then and there I just sat on the stairs and cried. I had never heard such a hateful thing, even from someone as cruel as Althea. I just sat there and cried my eyes out, as she cussed and laughed at me. I think she came up the stairs towards me, but......."

"Skye, what happened?"

"I don't know. I can't remember. I think I've blocked out the things that were most hurtful."

"You don't think she hurt you, do you?" Jax asked, pure worry in his voice.

"Physically? Probably not. But the verbal abuse was more than I could take. She probably got in a lot more horrible shots before she passed out on the living room floor, as she usually did when she drank too much.....You don't think this is stupid, do you Jax? You don't.....you don't think she was right, do you?"

Skye's voice which had become almost childlike, and the pain and fear in her eyes just broke Jax's heart. He enveloped her in has arms. "My God, Skye, no. Of course not! Althea was a monster. She was so wrong. So wrong. You're wonderful."

"Thanks, Jax," Skye said between tears. "And if I can't get back at her, I'll get back at Sonny."

"We all will," Jax promised. "We'll do it together."

"I love you," Skye whispered.

"Not half as much as I love you," Jax whispered back.

He just held her in his embrace until her tears quieted. Then Jax noticed she had fallen asleep! He carefully laid her down on the couch and covered her with a blanket. He sat on the nearby chair and watched her sleep. We will get revenge in one way or the other, Jax promised silently. No one will hurt you again.