Taking a Chance on Love



Home

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
A Message To All Readers!!
Chapter 4

Jax's Penthouse
A Week Later

Skye and Jax were in his penthouse, working on ELQ and assorted business. He was perched on the couch, thumbing through some documents while she was typing away at the computer, checking the latest stats. Unbenknownst to Skye, Jax got up from the couch and moved behind her at the computer desk. She jumped when she felt his cheek press gently against hers.

"Oh! Jax," she said, turning.

"Did I startle you?" he said with a sly grin.

"Not in any way that's bad," she smirked back. "So, what's up?"

"I need your signature on this form," he said, handing it and a pen to her.

Skye quickly signed the form, then said all innocently, "Is that all you wanted me for? A signature on a business document?"

"Not at all," Jax replied. He leaned forward and planted a delicate kiss on her lips, which she happily accepted.

"Now that is more like it," she said with a grin. She couldn't believe how well things were going between the two of them. All the lies and deceit were behind them. They had started fresh, and things were going wonderfully. They just couldn't seem to get enough of each other and thus spent most of their time together.

"So, how is ELQ doing these days?" Jax asked after a while, leaning back against the back of the couch.

Skye rolled her chair away from the computer desk so she could face him. "Locally, we're doing better than ever. Business is booming and we've been making out like bandits."

"That's great."

"Yeah, but in our foreign interests...it looks like we've been having some trouble. There's a new company called MC Inc. that's getting to a lot of our regular investors before we can. And thus, getting the business first."

"MC, haven't heard of it," Jax said. "Well, I'm sure you'll get things back in order. You're a great CEO." Then he added, "And if you do need any help, just let me know."

"Why Jax?" Skye said, "Haven't raided a major corporation for a while?" She laughed.

"Well, business has been a little boring of late," he admitted.

"Well you can have your fun, but I want to see if I can solve this problem myself, prove to Edward and Alan and Monica that I can really handle this position as CEO."

"I know you can."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," she said, kising him on the cheek. Then she rolled herself back to the desk. "But if I want to do that, I'd better get back to work."

They each did their own thing for another hour or so, when finally, Skye snapped the laptop shut.

"Any luck?" Jax asked.

"Maybe. I'm not sure. All I know is, I'm exhausted. I think I've done enough work to last me all year, let alone just tonight!"

"Well then I think you need a break. What do you say we rent some videos and order up room service? Make it a date," he said, winking.

"You, Jasper Jacks, renting videos, not whisking me off to some tropical island for a night of dancing under the stars?" Skye said, feigning incredulousness.

"Well I guess I could call Ernie to fire up the jet," he said, fumbling for his cell phone.

"Jax, I'm kidding!" Skye exclaimed, flopping on the couch next to him. "Your plans sound just wonderful right about now. I need to relax."

"OK, great."

"How about you call room service, and I'll go get the movies, okay?"

"Sure. Oh, Skye, make sure you get Rush Hour 2. It's the greatest!"

"An action film? Oh brother," she said.

"It's good, I promise," Jax said. "And just to be fair, you can pick out your own. Anything you want, and I promise I'll watch it. Okay?"

"Okay." Skye agreed, her eyes lighting up. Giggling, she added, "I have one in mind. I know you'll just love it."

Twenty minutes later, Skye returned with the movies. The room was dim and Jax had lit a bunch of sweet-smelling white and silver candles to give it a soft glow.

"Room service came just before you came in," he said with a smile.

"Oh Jax it looks so nice in here. You didn't have to do this," she replied.

"Yes, but I wanted to."

"Aww, well just for that, we'll watch yours first." She popped in Rush Hour 2 and they sat down to enjoy their meal. After they finished eating, Jax put his arm around Skye and they snuggled tight as they watched the funny and action-packed film, which, Skye admitted to herself, wasn't that bad. But when it was over, Skye got up.

"My turn," she said brightly.

"So, what did you pick?" Jax asked.

She gleefully held up the other movie case.

"The First Wives Club?"

"Oh yes!" She put it in and then sat back down. "It's good, I promise." She giggled and put her head back on his shoulder.

"I would have never thought that you, the tough and savvy Skye Chandler Quartermaine was the chick-flick type," he said dryly.

"Well I may kick ass in the corporate world but hey, I'm still a girly-girl at heart." Then the movie started so they quieted down.

Throughout the movie, Skye even saw him laugh several times, and she called him on it. He tried to make up excuses and pretend he didn't secretly enjoy the feminine-filled wonder, but she wasn't fooled. He was having just as much fun as she was.

Just as the movie was almost over, Jax got up. "I forgot, we didn't have dessert. I'll be right back."

He went into the kitchen to get two slices of the apple pie he had gotten earlier. Just as he was serving them onto plates, he heard a soft voice, what sounded like singing!

You don't own me
I'm not just one of your many toys
You don't own me
Don't say I can't go with other boys
ba ba ba ba ba ba ba

He recognized Diane Keaton's voice, and Goldie Hawn's, and Bette Midler's, but there was one more! Could it be? Nah....but he wanted to see for himself. He quitely tiptoed into the living room. Sure enough, Skye was singing along. It was faint, but she was definitely singing. She didn't notice he was standing there.

And don't tell me what to do
And don't tell me what to say
And when I go out with you
Don't put me on display

"Give the woman a Grammy!" he exclaimed, flopping onto the couch. Skye turned a zillion shades of red.

"Oh my God Jax don't sneak up on me like that!" she shouted, obviously embarrassed at being caught singing along to the movie.

"I'm sorry," he said, "I was just so taken by your singing. You're really good."

"No I'm not," she said, blushing even more.

"Yes, you are." he replied. "If you weren't, I wouldn't have said anything. Gone to buy earplugs, maybe, but come on, if you were horrible, do you really think I would encourage it?" he joked.

She hit him with a pillow. "Thanks a lot!"

"I'm serious, Skye. You're very good."

"Well....I did used to be a singer, way back when," she said, slowly turning back to her normal shade.

"Really?"

"Yeah. Not my most remarkable days, but definitely some of my most interesting."

"I wish I could have seen it."

"I don't. My hair was huge!"

Jax burst out laughing. "Well I'm glad it's back to normal size now," he said between chuckles.

"Tell me about it."

"Skye," he said after a moment of thought. "What would you say if I asked you to sing at the Nurses Ball with me?"

"Ohh, Jax, I don't know.....in front of all those people? You saw me, I nearly turned inside out when I realized you saw me. That's only one person! How could I do it in front of hundreds?"

"Well, you just said you used to be a singer. It's not like you haven't done it before."

"Yeah, well....."

"Come on. Lucy Coe has been after me for weeks now, trying to get me to be in the Ball. So far I haven't given her an answer, but if I knew you would be up there with me, I would do it in a heartbeat."

"Really?"

"Definitely."

"Well....." she hesitated for a minute. Then, "Okay. I guess I can do it."

"Great!" he said, picking her up and twirling her around. "Let's go tell Lucy!"

"Boy, you're really psyched about this, aren't you?" Skye remarked.

"How could I not be? I'm performing side by side with you. Then the whole town will now I'm with the most beautiful woman in all of Port Charles."

"Well you're not so bad yourself," she said slyly. "Now, let's go find Lucy."

So off the two went to find the high-strung but lovable Lucy Coe. They were both exhilerated with all the fun and excitement they had encountered that night. Sure, the Nurses Ball would be a new and nerve-wracking experience, but they would be facing it together, and that's what counted.