Taking a Chance on Love



Home

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
A Message To All Readers!!
Chapter 12

"What?" Skye was aghast.

"Yeah, that's right...Corinthos got the deal. The one deal we needed more than anything." Tracy was seething.

"How could that happen? I thought the deal was top secret." Jax queried.

"Yeah, well, so did I....ooohhh.....this group better keep a damn tigher lid on their deals."

"Tracy, I don't think anyone here leaked anything-"

"Yeah, and no one better ever do it, either. Come on Jerry, I'm not in a party mood any more."

"Oh, come on Tracy, it's just one deal-"

"I said, we're going."

Jerry sighed, then escorted his angry wife out of the club.

"She should really take some Prozac or something," Courtney said, shaking her head. AJ laughed.

"Yup, that's dear old auntie for ya."

Carly looked around her club in dismay. People had stopped dancing and some were even staring.

"Guys, come on, now, this is a party! We....we're going on national TV tomorrow, so let's celebrate! Come on!" she signalled to N'sync, who had taken the stage, and they started up one of their more updeat dance tunes. People began to dance and talk and laugh again. Carly breathed a sigh of relief.

"Nice save," Zander said.

"Yeah, thanks....boy, they weren't kidding when they said she was a viper."

"Poor Jerry," he added. They both laughed.

Meanwhile, Jax and Skye had sat down for some sparkling cider.

"I don't know how Sonny got to that company before we did." Skye said.

"Lucky guess, I suppose. But don't worry, we'll get him back." Jax replied.

"I know....I'm not that upset, I mean, not as much as Tracy. She really went nuts."

"Well, she's in this to win, so even the slightest setback will get her on edge. I've done business with her before, and she's always been like that. But I'm sure after she unloads her wrath on Jerry tonight, she'll be fine tomorrow for our interview."

"Yeah....but I just can't help but wonder how Sonny figured out that that was our next move. It's almost as if someone told him....." her voice trailed off.

"You don't think one of the Titans members leaked the information...?"

Skye looked over to where Carly and Zander were dancing. "Well...." then she though better of it and stopped herself. She shook her head. "Nahh. You're right, it was probably just a lucky guess. But hey, let's just forget it, and think about our big interview on tv tomorrow. That's going to be great."

"Definitely." Then he stopped and looked at Skye for a minute. "Ya know, I always thought you could be in pictures," he added with a funny accent.

"Oh stop," she said, holding back a laugh.

"What, no big plans to take the silver screen by storm?"

"Mmmmm,...no I don't think so," she joked back.

"Alright...then, will you at least dance with me?"

"But of course," she added, with a cheesy accent of her own.

****************

The next day
ABC TV Studios


The 7 members of Titans were at the Business Now set, getting ready for their big interview. Melissa Mayne, the host came out.

"Hi all, how are the top corporate leaders doing this morning?"

"Great, Ms. Mayne. Thanks for having us." Jax replied.

"Oh, call me Melissa, please. Listen, this is what we're going to do. My co-hosts Olivia Sanders and Brendan Carr and I are gonna take turns asking you guys questions. It's going to be sort of a press-conference set-up. OK?"

"Sure, sounds great," Skye answered.

"Great! Just great. Well you all look wonderful, how do you do it, business smarts to spare and looks to kill? Amazing! OK, well I just have to go get ready, you know, last minute spruce ups. OK? OK! Yeah so I'm gonna go backstage now, and I'll see you in five! Hey have you tried the coffee? It's fabulous!! I've already had five cups this morning, if you can tell!!!!" she stopped to giggle, and catch her breath. "Well, anyways I gotta go, and I'll see you in a few!"

"No, we can't tell at all," AJ said under his breath.

"What do they put in that coffee?" Courtney joked.

A crew member came out and directed them to their seats. Tracy was seated in the middle, and to the right of her were Jerry, Skye and Jax. Carly rushed to get the seat on Tracy's left, but just to spite her, AJ plunked himself down first.

"AJ! Get the hell out of my seat!"

"Sorry, princess, I guess you'll have to sit a little to the side of the spotlight this time." Courtney sat down next to him and just smiled at Carly.

"Aaaarrrggghhhh....." Carly turned around to get her seat on the end, then turned around. "You know, AJ, I swear you are so immature sometimes." Then she flopped down in her seat and crossed her arms. But the second Melissa, Olivia and Brendan came out, she was all smiles.

"Look at Miss America posing for the cameras over there," AJ whispered to Court. "They haven't even started rolling yet." Courtney just giggled and tried to shush him.

The cameraman made the signal and the show began.

"Hi everyone, we're here today with a very special group, the executives of Titans Incorporated, the newest financial group that is making quite a stir in the business world!" Melissa said with a huge smile.

"Please welcome Carly Corinthos, Courtney Matthews, AJ Quartermaine, Tracy Quartermaine-Jacks, Jerry Jacks, Skye Chandler Quartermaine, and Jasper Jacks," Olivia added.

"Tracy, this first question is for you," Brendan began. "We know you're the chief stock holder in this company. How did you come to select such savvy partners?"

"Well, I needed people who could match my business intelligence," Tracy began. AJ rolled his eyes. "My husband, Jerry was an obvious choice, of course. His brother Jax has been turning tables on many major corporations for years, and my niece, Skye Chandler-Quartermaine, has been CEO of ELQ for quite some time now, and has been doing admirably."

"And Miss Matthews, and Mr. Quartermaine? And Miss Corinthos?"

"Yes, well they were late additions."

Carly's mouth dropped open and was about to protest, but Melissa interrupted her with the next question.

"This question is for Miss Chandler-Quartermaine; Skye, you have been CEO of ELQ for the past several months. What made you decide to take on a second venture?"

"Well, when you're succeeding, the only thing to do next is branch out, and continue to succeed in other places as well."

"But it seems like a very time-consuming and exhausting thing to do. So tell us, what was the real driving force behind your decision to get involved with Titans?"

"Well, it-"

"Was it to get even with Sonny Corinthos?"

"Well it is no secret that I don't-"

"Or to get even with your family? Does your motivation have anything to do with the recent scandal involving your family, the Quartermaines, and the Chandlers of Pine Valley?"

"The Chandlers have nothing to do with it, this was my decision, and-"

"Does Titans plan to do business with Adam Chandler's company?"

"We'd prefer not to discuss our future plans publicly-"

"Certainly, taking a great deal of money from Adam Chandler would be good payback for what he and his wife did to you...what was her name, Alana? Allison?"

Skye winced, and felt her cheeks begin to get hot. "Her name was Althea. And frankly, I don't know why you're bringing this up, it has nothing to do with Titans..."

Jax could tell that the over-caffeinated host had gotten Skye really upset, so he cut in.

"Titans has no plans to deal with the Chandler family at the present time. Our main focus is on foreign investors. You can watch for Titans to make major waves in Italy, France and Britain."

"Interesting!" Olivia said. "Now, Miss Corinthos, a question for you...."

As Olivia began to interview Carly, who was absolutely beaming much to AJ's disgust, Skye leaned over to Jax and whispered 'thank you' in his ear. He squeezed her hand under the table and smiled. But he saw a small tear that had begun to form in her eye, and his smile faded. That nutty host had gone too far, Skye was visibly shaken up. He would have a few words with ABC tomorrow, if not that night.

*********

Jax's penthouse
That night


Skye yawned, and clicked off the tv. "I think I'm gonna go to bed, I'm exhausted."

"Yeah, me too." Jax replied.

"That interview today...it took a lot out of me."

Jax wrapped her in his arms. "Hey, you did great."

"That little twit got me so upset...I feel stupid."

"Well, you didn't look stupid, you looked brilliant. And don't let it bother you...it's over now, it's just you and me."

"That's the way I like it," Skye said, managing a smile. Pretty soon they had both fallen asleep, she still in his arms.

****

"You idiot! How many times do I have to tell you, you stupid bitch!"

"I-"

"Shut up! Don't say a word!"

"But-"

Smack.

Little Antoinette winced. So horrible. So scary. The awful situtation echoed in her head. The nasty voice. The hurtful sound. She covered her ears. Make it stop. Make it stop.

"You cause so much trouble! That's all you ever do around here!"

"I'm sorr-"

"I said shut up!!! No one messes with Althea Chandler!"

Antoinette slid further under her bed, and covered her eyes. Maybe if she couldn't see them, they wouldn't see her. "I'm sorry, Becca," she whispered.