Taking a Chance on Love



Home

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
A Message To All Readers!!
Chapter 21

Skye, what are you talking about?" Jax asked, his voice exuding sadness, confusion, and genuine concern.

"What if I really did kill Sonny? What if what they think is true? What if-"

Jax grabbed her hands through the cell bars. "Listen to me, Skye. I know you didn't kill Corinthos. Come on."

"But how do you know? How do you know for sure? I can't remember what happened. I can't prove that I didn't do it, so maybe I did."

"Do you really want to know why I think you're innocent?" Jax said with a sad smile. "Because, Skye Chandler Quartermaine, killing someone isn't in you. I know you, and I know that you're not capable of doing something like that. Your heart is too big, whether or not anyone else can or wants to see that. But I do, and I know you could never kill someone, not even someone you hate as much as Sonny Corinthos. Hell, you don't even kill the spiders we find crawling around in the bathroom."

"Yeah, I make you do it," she replied dryly.

"But still," Jax went on with a laugh, "I know you did not do this, Skye. Even if we don't know what happened, even if we never find out what happened, I'd be willing to bet everything I own that you did not murder Sonny Corinthos."

Skye was silent for a moment, then spoke. "Wow."

"What?"

"I can't believe that you have so much faith in me."

Jax kissed her fingertips lightly. "My faith in you is something you'll never have to question, Skye. I'm in this for the long haul, and no mobster, no hotshot attorney, no damning evidence will ever change that."

Skye gave him the most loving smile she could muster, and mouthed the words 'thank you'.

"But, Jax," she said, "what exactly is this so-called evidence? I can't think of anything."

Jax calmly relayed the information that Bobby and Lindsay had passed on to him.

Skye took a moment to catch her breath and reconfigure her jumbled thoughts. "Good Lord," she said, "this all makes me look like some psycho cold-blooded ax murderer."

Jax didn't say anything. The expression on his face broke Skye's heart. He was so confused, wanting so desperately to support her in any way he could, but questions and puzzlement washed over him like a tidal wave.

"Well, I have no idea how the gun could have gotten there. I certainly didn't have it. The message on his machine was about a business deal I was going to propose. I have no idea how I can prove that, though."

"Go on."

"The blood on my hands...well I mean I have no idea how it got there. I can't remember a damn thing....but, I guess it could have gotten there if I tried to help him, or something. But again, can it be proven? Damn." She let out a sad sigh.

"Well, we'll leave that up to the attorneys," Jax said. "But, um...what about the notebook entry, Skye?"

A look of anger, fear and guilt filled her face. "You want the short version or the long version?"

"Might as well go with the long version," Jax said. "I'm not going anywhere."

So, for the next forty five minutes, Skye explained her dreams, and how she had jotted down the main bits of information on each one after she'd had it. She detailed each and every nightmare, how the voices sounded, how she felt, what she thought it meant.

"Good God," Jax murmured, "No wonder you've been on edge lately."

"You could tell, eh?"

"Well, yeah, but I didn't want to push anything."

"Thanks."

"So...do you have any idea who this Becca might be?"

"I don't know. A friend, a cousin maybe? All I can piece together from these nightmares is that she must have been a little older than me, and we must have been very close. Then, I guess she disappeared. That would explain why I can't remember anything about her- I tend to block out traumatic events. So something awful must have happened to her, and so until I started having these dreams, I didn't even remember that she existed."

"Wow. Do you think she could be at all involved in this?"

"Becca? Well, I don't see how....I mean, really, how could the two be related? It's just got to be some sort of coincidence. I only started having the dreams when that damn TV interviewer brought up all that crap about Althea."

"Ahh, her. Well, if it cheers you up any, the last I heard was she's been reduced to filling coffee mugs and cleaning out dressing rooms."

Skye snorted sarcastically. "I bet she'd love that....Jax, you didn't have anything to do with that, did you?"

"Ohhh, I don't know...there may have been a phone call or two that I've made, but hey....what can ya do?"

"Jax!"

"Good to see you laughing, Skye."

They turned their attention to Bobby and Lindsay, who were standing at the entrance to the holding cells.

"Well, Jax is just trying to cheer me up."

"I'm glad to see it's working," replied Lindsay, smiling.

"Sorry to interrupt the party, but we need to have a meeting. The officer will escort you to the interrogation room so the four of us can talk."

****

"So what's all this about?" Skye asked. "Jax already told me everything you told him."

"We got a court date."

"Really? When?"

"Five days from now."

"That soon?" Jax asked.

"We were able to pull some strings. Plus, as I said before," Bobby continued, "They always want to settle mob-related cases as quickly as possible."

"Well, this is good news, right?" Skye asked.

"It is, but it just means we'll have to get a move on. Beginning with you telling us everything that can be of use, particularly, everything about the day Mr. Corinthos was killed, right down to the smallest detail."

Skye took a breath. Where to begin?

She started with Tracy leaving her the list of companies to try to acquire. She explained about Carly, Courtney and AJ's loyalty tests, then her confusion and anger when all three companies were snatched right out from under them. She went on to how Tracy had blown a fuse, and filled them in on her newest suspicion.

"I don't think Carly, AJ or Courtney were betraying the company, not anymore. Someone must have been watching me, spying on me, listening in on my conversations."

"And maybe whoever it is is the one that killed Corinthos, and is obviously trying to set you up!" Jax put in.

Skye's eyes widened. She hadn't even thought of that.

"But how could they get all this information?" Lindsay asked. "Wouldn't you have noticed if someone was following you around the clock?"

"Maybe it was a bug," Jax suggested.

"But I've been all over the place discussing the things that Sonny got wind of," Skye said. "If there was a bug, it could only be in one place, right?"

"Not necessarily," said Bobby. "Not if it was in one of your personal items that you take with you everywhere, like a wallet, or purse."

"Oh, you're right. But damn, how could someone have planted a bug in my purse?"

"I don't know," said Lindsay, "But we'll definitely look into it. Now, tell us more. Please, anything can help your case."

Skye explained to them what she had just explained to Jax; all about her dreams, and where the notebook entry came into play. Then she began a step-by-step rundown of the day Sonny was killed. This took several minutes, as she had a hard time talking about her breakdown at Titans.

"It's okay," Jax said, gently rubbing her hand, "just take a breath."

Skye complied and then continued on with her story; how she had went to the Titans office to get a file, gotten the idea about proposing a deal to Sonny on the way, running into Carly in the office, driving to Sonny's, and parking in the lot behind the warehouse.

"Was there anyone else there?" Lindsay asked.

"Umm...there was no one outside...but, wait! There were two cars in the lot besides mine!! Sonny's, and a blue sports car."

"Did you recognize it?" asked Bobby.

Skye shook her head sadly. "No."

"But this means that there was someone else there! Probably the person who did this!!" Jax exclaimed.

"We'll order another search of the warehouse parking lot, checking for any tire marks, or anything that can show the other car was there," Bobby said.

"What else do you remember?" Lindsay asked.

"I went inside, and I remember being surprised that no bodyguards were there. Sonny usually has a whole bunch of thugs waiting to bust your kneecaps at his command. But anyways, I figured might as well use this opportunity to snoop, and I...I can sort of remember standing outside the door to his office, and I heard two voices."

"Can you identify them?"

"One was Sonny's. The other, I have no idea."

"Man? Woman?"

Skye shook her head. "Sorry. I don't know."

"OK, then what?" queried Bobby.

"Then...then nothing." Skye slammed her hands angrily on the table. "Damn it, why can't I remember??"

"It's okay, Skye, you've done great so far," Lindsay replied. "Anything else you can recall will be even better, but at least we know some of the facts now."

"So do you think the things I do remember will help my case?"

"The blue car might be of help same as hearing someone inside with Corinthos. But...the meeting with Carly could end up biting you in the butt. If they ask her to testify and she relays what you said...well, it doesn't sound very good, I'm afraid."

"Yeah," Skye murmured. And Carly would be more than happy to squeal on her, she bet.

"Well, that's all for now," Bobby declared, standing up and pushing his chair in. Lindsay did the same.

"We'll meet again tomorrow to start planning strategy," he added as he headed for the door.

Skye and Jax thanked them, and then an officer came to lead Skye back to her cell.

****

Visiting hours were over, and Skye was all alone in her small, gloomy cell. Well, she thought, might as well try to get some sleep. Who knows, maybe I'll have some of those wretched nightmares. But this time, they'd actually be of help.