Taking a Chance on Love



Home

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
A Message To All Readers!!
Chapter 5

The Night of the Nurses Ball

Jax anxiously knocked on the door of Skye's hotel room. The Nurses Ball would begin in less than an hour, and despite his cool, calm and collected attitude during rehearsals, he was actually pretty nervous. He had only participated in the performing part of the Ball once before, when he danced with Chloe. But that was different: just dancing, no singing, worrying about forgetting the words or hitting a wrong note. He wasn't exactly ready for Broadway. But during rehearsals, Skye, who was fabulous just as he had thought, hadn't made any indication that he was off-key, so hopefully things wouldn't be too bad. Taking a deep breath to stay calm, he knocked again. This time, the door swung open. That breath that Jax had been taking was instantly taken away.

"My God, Skye. You look beautiful."

Skye was wearing an exquisite dark silver gown. It was a halter style neckline that went around her neck, and had no back. It was form fitting up until the waist and then it went out at the sides, billowing at the floor. It was covered in sparkles so when she moved it was like a million little twinkling stars. Her hair was done up in a fancy updo with a few curled tendrils hanging down around her face and a few in the back as well.

"I'm glad you like it." She smiled, and taking note of his dapper tuxedo, added, "I knew you'd be looking amazing so I was just trying to keep up."

"Well, you've certainly done that," Jax said, shaking his head. He kissed her quickly on the lips. "Are you ready for the big number?"

"I think so."

"Good. I know we'll knock the socks off of everyone."

"I hope so!"

"Well, shall we?" he said, holding out his arm.

She took it. "We shall." And off they strolled to the elevator.

Ten minutes later they were in the Versailles room which was divinely decorated for the annual event. No, it was not on the roof this time. Lucy and company were able to pull it off without a hitch this year, no floods, power outages, food spoilage, or outfit mishaps. Karen Wexler and Serena Baldwin were being her dressers this year, and she knew she could definitely count on them to keep things going smoothly. Not like that nutty Amy, or her sometimes enemy Eve!

They quickly found their table. They were sitting with AJ and Courtney, Alexis, Kristina and...Ned, much to Skye's chagrin. But she was in such a good mood that she wouldn't even let any of his snide comments bother her that night. AJ and Courtney greeted Skye warmly as the others said their hellos to Jax. Skye was glad to see AJ and Courtney looking so cheerful. Things had been rocky between them for a while. AJ had realized he was actually in love with Courtney for real! He had decided the only way to have anything real with her, however, was to tell her the whole truth. He told her how at first, he was only using her to anger Sonny, but along the way, he honestly fell in love with her, and was so truly sorry. She was pretty mad at first. Completely confused, she wanted to get away from him for a while. But then when she had accidentally stumbled upon a vicious mob confrontation on the docks between Sonny and one of his enemies, things had gotten ugly. She almost got shot, but was saved when AJ, who had seen her go on the docks alone just moments earlier, dove in front of her and took the bullet for her. Luckily, it only got him in the arm and it was just a minor injury. But it was enough to prove to Courtney that AJ's love was pure and she forgave him. He healed quickly and they were now revelling in their newfound love. They were having nothing to do with Sonny at all and that was fine for the both of them.

"Everyone looks lovely tonight," Jax commented. "Even you Ned," he added, joking.

"Why thank you Jax," Ned joked back, using a feminine accent.

"Whoaaa this is getting weird," Kristina said, pretending to push her chair back from the table. They all laughed.

Skye looked around. Jax was right, everyone did look especially nice that night. Kristina was wearing a dark turquoise spaghetti-strapped gown that brilliantly set off her orangey-red hair, which had been curled. Alexis was wearing a navy blue gown with a high neckline with a few sparkles around it, and a shimmering skirt. Her hair was half pulled back with sparkling diamond pins, and half down. Courtney's dress was a bright shade of red with spaghetti straps and a heart-shaped neckline. Her hair was all pulled back into a French twist, revealing the gold and ruby necklace AJ had given her earlier that night. It was just like in her dream!! Ned was wearing a tuxedo similar to Jax's, looking dashing as well.

Just then the lights went low, a spotlight came on and out came a radiant Lucy Coe in a beautiful gold poofy gown.

"Hello Port Charles!" she crooned. "Are you ready to party?" The crowd cheered. "OK everyone, I know I have said this in the past, and I think it's safe to say I have been wrong each time, but I have a feeling that without a doubt, this is going to be the BEST Nurses Ball ever!!!" She paused while everyone applauded and whistled.

"So far everything's gone smoothly, which isn't usually the case," she went on. "So let's capitalize on it and have the most wonderful, the most exciting, the most rockin' party this town has ever seen! All right! To start things off, here's Jamal Woods, Alison Barrington, Livvie Locke and Jack Ramsey!"

The four teens came on stage and did a wonderful rendition of "The Girls of Rock & Roll/The Boys of Rock and Roll". Everyone was on their feet cheering as they took their bows.

Next were Liz, Gia, Nikolas, and Lucky. They rocked the house with an energetic and funky version of "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor.

Next, back by popular demand, were Roy, AJ, Taggert, Edward and Mac.....singing "Maybe I Know (That He's Been Cheatin'" by Leslie Gore. Their hilarious antics brought down the house.

The show took a more serious turn when Lucy, Alan, Monica, and Tony took turns giving extremely moving, heartfelt speeches about the real purpose for this event. There wasn't a dry eye in the house, although several of the guys tried to hide it.

The music picked up again when Ned and Kristina took the stage to perform the traditional slower, more inspirational tune. They sang a beautiful song called "Testify to Love" by Wynonna Judd.......

All the colours of the rainbow
All the voices of the wind
Every dream that reaches out
That reaches to find the love we gave
Every word of every story
Every star in every sky
Every corner of creation
Lives to testify

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be your witness in the silences
When words are not enough
With every breath I take
I will thanks to God above
For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love

From the mountains to the valleys
From the rivers to the sea
Every hand that reaches out
Every hand that reaches out to offer peace
Every simple act of mercy
Every step to kingdom come
All the hope in every heart
Will speak what love has done

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be your witness in the silences
When words are not enough
With every breath I take
I will thanks to God above
For as long as I shall live
I will testify
I will testify to love

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be your witness in the silences
When words are not enough
With every breath I take
I will thanks to God above
For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be your witness in the silences
When words are not enough
With every breath I take
I will thanks to God above
For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love


After the clapping died down, Lucy returned to the stage wearing a sparkling red strapless gown. "And now," she said, "for our last act of the evening, let yourselves be taken back into the romantic era, in the time of the famed Moulin Rouge! Please put your hands together for one of Port Charles' hottest twosomes, Jasper Jacks and Skye Chandler Quartermaine!"

Applause filled the room as the lights went out. As soft, romantic background music began to play, two spotlights snapped on the stage, revealing Jax and Skye, decked out in Moulin Rouge-esque costumes, similar to Ewan McGregor's and Nicole Kidman's outfits from the Elephant Love Medley Scene. As the music began to pick up, Jax began to sing....

J: All you need is love

S: A girl has to eat

J: All you need is love

S: She'll end up on the street

J: All you need is love

S: Love is just a game

J: I was made for loving you baby

You were made for loving me

S: The only way to love me, baby,
Is to pay a lovely fee

J: Just one night, just one night

S: There's no way cuz you can't pay

J: In the name of love, one night in the name of love

S: You crazy fool, I won't give in to you

J: Don't leave me this way,
I can't survive without your sweet love
Oh baby, don't leave me this way

S: You'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs

J: I look around me and I see it isn't so

S: Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs

J: What's wrong with that, I'd like to know,
Cuz here I go again...
Love lifts us up where we belong,
Where eagles fly,
On a mountain high

S: Love makes us act like we are fools,
Throw our lives away for one happy day

J: We can be heroes just one for day

S: You, you will be mean!

J: No I won't!

S: And I... I'll yell all the time

J: We should be lovers

S: We can't do that

J: We should be lovers and that's a fact

S: Though nothing will keep us together

J: We could still time just for one day

S&J: We could be heroes forever and ever
We could be heroes forever and ever
We could be heroes just because....

J: I will always love you

S: And I can't help loving you...

S&J: How wonderful life is while you're in the world....



By the end of the song, Skye and Jax had moved across the stage to each other and were holding hands as they belted out the last note. Thunderous applause filled the air as they took their respective bows and curtsies. As Jax gave Skye a celebratory kiss on the cheek, the curtains went down.

"You were wonderful!" Jax said, wrapping his arms around Skye.

"So were you!" she replied, trying to catch her breath from all the excitement.

"I had a lot of fun," Jax said.

"Me too. I had forgotten how exhilerating performing can be!"

"And Skye...." Jax's voice trailed off.

"Yes?"

"When I sang those words....."

"Yes?"

"I...I meant them. Oh boy.....Skye, what I'm trying to say here is.....I've fallen in love with you."

Skye couldn't believe it. The words she had longed to hear for what seemed like forever were coming out of his mouth. Tears began to form in her eyes.

"Do you...do you really mean it?" she asked, her lips quivering with a mixture of happiness, nervousness, and fear.

"I do," Jax said, pushing a curly strand behind her ear. "I'm hopelessly in love with you Ms. Skye Chandler Quartermaine."

Skye was speechless. She literally could not get any words out. She had never been more stunned in her whole life, nor more happy. She just started to cry!

"Umm," Jax said, "I, uh, I think it's probably...I mean, it's usually customary for you to say something as well...oh, but I mean, I'm not trying to pressure you, or anything, I just....I mean-"

"Shhh!" Skye said, finally regaining her voice. She put her fingers to his lips. "Oh my God, I am so in love with you, Mr. Jasper Jacks!" They kissed for what seemed like an eternity before joining hands and returning to the table. Everyone raised their eyebrows at the totally obvious glow the twosome wore, but said nothing, other than words of praise for the wonderful performance.

A half hour later, the Nurses Ball was over and Skye and Jax went back to his penthouse to celebrate over some ginger ale. But when Jax opened the door, they were extremely surprised by what...no, make that who, they saw!

"Jerry!"

"Little brother! I thought you'd never get here!" Jerry Jacks went to give his brother a hug. He also greeted Skye; they had never met but he had heard lots about her from Jax.

"Ahem."

Jax and Skye looked up. That's when they realized Jerry wasn't alone.

"Don't I get any greetings?" the woman said.

"Well well well, we cross paths again," Jax said with a grin. "Good to see you, as always."

"Hi," Skye said. "I'm so glad to finally meet you. I know we've talked but it's great to finally meet you in person."

"Likewise," the woman said, extending her hand. "You sounded like a confident, capable woman on the phone, and it appears that you are. That's good to see in a CEO."

"Oh I assure you, she's wonderful," Jax said, putting his arm around her waist.

"So, Jerry, what are you doing here, anyway?" he went on.

"Well, little brother, we came because I want you to meet the new Mrs. Jerry Jacks."

Skye's and Jax's mouths flung open in surprise.

"You married Tracy Quartermaine?!"